They Brew it, I sell it, You Drink it... and so do I..

Thursday 9 February 2012

A Lesson In Style

Hitachino Nest beers aren't new to this country but they are new to me. I'm not even sure what to call these beers. The brewery named on the back is stated as 'Kiuchi Brewery' so I'm not sure where the Hitachino Nest comes into it really. I think we'll start with the most obvious point first: The two beers I'm reviewing from Kiuchi tonight are some of the finest looking beers I've ever seen - the branding is excellent and quite frankly, puts hundreds of other beers to shame.

First up comes Nipponia - a 6.5% Golden Ale made with Sorachi Ace hops (a hop bred in Japan) and Kaneko Golden - an ancient barley from Japan. (am I correct in thinking this would be a Spelt?) I've never been a fan of Sorachi Ace, I've constantly thought it smelled like Thai curry when used in a beer by itself so this will be interesting. The beer has a bizarre aroma; It's starts with lemon and straw, some light spice and some sweet malt, a tiny hint of sweet honey and pine. I'm also getting a lot of mushroom and cheesecake because Rick Furzer suggested that's what it was like for him, and I can see what he means.
    The flavour is really nice, smooth and complex. Quite soft with a big floral edge and some underlying spicy malts. A little purfumey with some biting citrus notes, and while this is a perfectly made, executed and balanced beer, I'm still getting that Sorachi Ace flavour a little too much. It's a little more restrained in this beer than others I've tried, but I'm still thinking Thai green lemon grass chicken curry. A good beer though, a must try for anyone who's looking for something a little different.

The second of the evening is the XH - Extra High 8% - A Belgian style Brown Ale aged for quite some time in Sake Barrels. (we have six of these Nest beers at the shop now, and they sure do like to make them strong! Apart from the Nipponia, they're all over 7%+) For a beer that's aged in such interesting barrels, the recipe for the beer seems a little less than; Malts - Marris Otter, Munich, Crystal, Chocolate. Hops - Chinook and Styrian Goldings. That's about it, but let's not forget, we don't judge a beer by what goes into it, (well, we try not too) we judge it on what it tastes like.

I first tried Sake about 3 years ago. It was mental and it really messed me up for some reason. After I had my first few sips I felt like I had become instantly drunk - in an amazing way - it was crazy. This beer smells like that. *Danger!* Quite nutty with woody hints, some Belgian dark fruit malt flavours too in the aroma.
    The flavour is quite sweet in this beer too, a little like dark Belgian candy sugars or a really nice, good quality brown sugar. Other flavours consist of brown bread, some toffee, light malt spice, grapes, pears and a good dose of Sake! The finish is sweet and moorish, with no indication of how strong the beer is... it's gone before you even knew it was poured.

Two really great beers from Japan. We have a range of six in at the shop at the moment, and I really suggest trying them. My only experience of Japanese beer so far has been Asahi in the past, and while Ashai Black was OK, it wasn't anything to write home about. Apart from that, it's always been the Japanese Whisky that's floated my boat, some/most of them are good enough to rival any Scotch Whisky, they clearly know what they're doing. It's a similar story with Kiuchi Brewery - They clearly know what they're doing.

9 comments:

  1. Linking between this and your Brooklyn experiences you have to try their Sorachi Ace. One of the nicest beers there is and THE example of how to use the hop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did clock the beer in North Bar, but just couldn't bring myself to stump up for it as for past experiences with the hop. Leigh Good Stuff posted it was very tasty so I may give it a go if I see it again, considering how many people have given it the thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a bottle in December (my cheese and beer pairing for january) amd loved it...but then I quite like sorachi ace and love saisons

      Delete
  3. They have the Brooklyn Sorachi at North Bar ?

    Top work as usual Will. Sorry if I planted a seed with some weird tasting notes.

    I'd forgotten how drinkable the XH was, you got it spot on. If you don't pay attention you've drunk it.

    Also I remember thinking that the Nipponia settles into a nice rich caramel vein too, with a real laid-back cereal base line underpinning everything & making it really drinkable. Maybe it's Jazz beer!

    Their design rocks doesn't it? Owl on the cap, attention to detail on the neck. Serious quality on the outside and in .......... nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good seed you planted, I never would have picked out those flavours by myself, a good learning experience. Apparently the XH is good for aging... And yes they do rock, some of the best looking beers in our shop at the mo imho.

      Delete
  4. My favourite of the 5 I've tred was the espresso stout, the high coffee level I like in my beer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not tried any Japanese beers, but the last year has taught me not to write off any beer because you don't associate the origin country as being a brewing or beer drinking nation. I'll pick one up next time I'm about, cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried the Red Rice Ale and the Real Ginger Ale recently from Beerritz and neither of them were great, which was quite disappointing. These two look much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame Fargher, I've not heard much about the RRA, but I had heard that the ginger was meant to be very good. Like you say in your post though, it is nice to try something new and a little different.

      Delete