They Brew it, I sell it, You Drink it... and so do I..

Saturday 16 July 2011

Metallica Beer!

I don't really know if this beer was named after a famous Metallica song, but I'd like to think that it is. ;)

Left Hand's Fade to Black (Volume 2) is a 7.8% Smoked Baltic Porter. The label is designed by Moxie Sozo and the artist is Nate Dyer, and looks, well... fantastic!

This is the blackest beer I've ever seen - completely opaque and not even a hint of any light getting through. It has aromas of dark chocolate, a little coffee and burnt malts. Not really getting much smoked malts but a little lactic essence. It's a really interesting beer, really complex with loads of different things going on. It starts with the sweet spritzy maltiness you get in Baltic Porters, and then leads to a some bitterness in the finish with lots of coffee, a splash of wood and a small amount of smoke creeping in. It seems a little all over the place, but I think that's what makes it work so well. I think it would go perfect with some black peppered steak.

A really good and cool looking beer from Left Hand Brewery. I really like their artwork and their new beers we can get. I got this bottle from North Bar, and would suggest you pick one up. Their 400 pound Monkey IPA is a real treat too if you can grab one while there still around.

No comments:

Post a Comment