They Brew it, I sell it, You Drink it... and so do I..

Monday 2 December 2013

Beer Advent Calendar - Day 2

Day two, probably time for something at least a little festive...

Time to try Mack in Black from Holy Mackerel brew co - An Imperial Black ale fermented with pomegranate juice! - 8%

If it sounds like it'll be a strange beer, well that's because it is.. There's so much going on in the aroma it's quite hard to pin point individual flavours. Fruit juices poured over sweet caramels and dark chocolate. Dark cherry flesh, fresh cereals and a hint of lactose.

The beer itself is made more intriguing by the use of Belgian yeast used in fermentation. It's certainly a lively catch (do you see what I did there!!!) but most of the Belgian character is drowned out by an immense forest fruit character - think Imperial Stout blended with a touch of Belgian fruit beer (something which is a fantastic concoction!) For a beer that I've never heard of, from a brewery whom I've never heard of, this is an absolute gem of a find and something that I'd definitely try again. "Winter seasonal"? I'd happily drink this in summer...

I hope to be just as pleasantly surprised tomorrow on day three...

2 comments: