They Brew it, I sell it, You Drink it... and so do I..

Monday 28 May 2012

5Day Barley Wine Spree. Day 3

I'm finding it quite interesting to see the massive amount of difference in all these Barley Wines at the mo, it's fun trying them back to back to back.

Anyways, Day 3

Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot - 11.1%.

Aromas: Sherry, plum sauce, figs, dates, cherry stones and flesh. There's some toffee sweetness, but this smells a little more like a Vintage Ale combined with a Belgian Quadruple. I'm also surprised about how much loose sediment there is to this US BW. (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Initial thoughts: It's thick and syrup like on the tip of the tongue, but that then fades away into a fortified wine like flavour without any great deal of sweetness, more like a woody, rum soaked raisin flavour. It is very much like a hybrid of Vintage Ale and Quads. Lots of resin, pine and tonnes of dried fruit. It has a lot more in common with the SK1 than with it's US brother Back Burner. It has a lot of English IPA about it, it's chock-a-block full of malty flavours. I think it's great! A tiny touch thin in the body making it lack that boozy punch, but it's not a bad thing. It doesn't really have any sweet carmel flavours either, but I'm still really enjoying it...

Could my Barley Wine specification walls be crumbling?

... Roll on Day 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment