They Brew it, I sell it, You Drink it... and so do I..

Saturday 8 October 2011

Threesome


I picked up these three in a bar called North a couple of months ago, and decided that I'd have them all in one night! If your lucky they will still have some of these lurking around in North Bar if you want to pick some up for yourself.

De Molen are awesome.

Good for 2 years. First up for the night is the lightest of the bunch (9.2%) - Amarillo - a Imperial IPA dry hopped with Amarillo. (it's also hopped with Saaz - I think they should have called it Saazarillo..) It has an aroma that you wouldn't really find in your expectations of an DIPA. Big aromas of dry Belgian spice, some sweet honeycomb and a lot of sour green apple skins. A truly complex beer for a DIPA. On the first swallow, loads of different things explode, you think sweet honeys and caramels, which changes to drying Belgian spice from the big carbonation. Lots of candy sugar and candy floss mask the big 9.2% very well making this one dangerous beer. It's quite fruity, lots of sweet pineapple and oranges. A soft floral body takes you away to a slight bitterness in the finish.

Good for 5 Years. Next up: Mooi & Meedogenloos (Beautiful & Ruthless) - a 10.2% Belgian strong ale. Premiant and Saaz (again) hops used in this devilishly dark looking beer. Big foamy head which disappears quite quickly after the pour. Aromas consist of bananas, bubble gum and Belgian yeasts mixed with a bit of light toffee and fruitcake. Dry and rich. Hints of roasted malts, not as much Belgian quality as I had thought I'd get - the dark malts really push the body forward through a big carbonation. Earthy coffee and some chocolate sweetness. Dry peppery finish, but no real alcohol presence - these De Molen beers really know how to hide the percentage well! The threesome is really getting into full swing now...

Good for 25 years. The final beer of the night is pretty self explanatory - Hel & Verdoemenis - Hell & Damnation. Quite an apt name for a 10.2% Imperial Stout. (and quite an awesome name too) De Molen are quite well know for making some of the best Imperial Stouts and dark beers on the planet - and this one is no slouch. Pouring as flat and as black as a witches' tit - this is the kind of beer I lust for! Premiant and Hallertau hops dominate the 99IBUs of this beer, but it's the dark malts that really come out of the aroma. Rich coffee, bitter dark chocolate, and dry (not sweet) fruits. Smooth, bittersweet and redonkousely immense! Look up Imperial Stout in the new 'Oxford Companion to Beer' and it should have a picture of this by its side. An incredible flavour - Burnt toast, charred cherries and chocolate, sweet coffee and a touch of vanilla, and that big roasted bitter malty body matched with the awesome alcoholic warming finish that, only the 'King of Beer Styles', can deliver - The Imperial Stout!!

De Molen - Bring It On!!!

7 comments:

  1. Not jealous. Not jealous. Not jealous. Not jealous. Not jealous. Not jealous.
    Not jealous.
    Not jealous.

    Ok. I'm jealous :-)

    Higgs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top review GD, now lets see you walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pleased to say I've had all three of these, two of them in North. Love De Molen beers. I have a Bommen & Granaten I bought in Amsterdam at the back of the shelf: it claims to keep for 25 years!

    Still, that's an expensive night in front of the telly, Ghostie!

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost walked back to North to get some more Matt, oh deary deary me...

    That's how I roll Nick ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still yet to try any de molen whatsoever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have two of the M&M, one for drinking and one for ageing and have drank two Saaaza I mean Amarillo's, love De Molen beers. Having read this and seen the pictures I may just have t head to North or Port Street very very soon… hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fine review and one that now means that I may just have to skip work one afternoon this week and get myself down to North Bar. I think it will be a case of take-out for the threesome (so to speak), but as I'll be there I could try a few others ...heh heh.

    ReplyDelete