They Brew it, I sell it, You Drink it... and so do I..

Thursday 7 February 2013

Does Freshness Equal Provenance??

We're all probably aware that Sam Adams has starting bottling it's Boston Lager at Shepherd Neame. The UK Boston has finally made it into the shop and while we still have a few bottles of the US stuff left I thought it was a good time to do a side by side tasting. I had heard that the idea to start bottling the Lager in the UK was to provide a fresher beer to the UK consumer, but just because something is fresher, does that make it better, the same, or worse...

Well the bottles certainly look different. There is also a visible difference in the beers too. The US version seems to have a slight haze on it and the UK version seems to have much more carbonation about whilst being very clear. I'm not really getting any difference in the aroma.. things looking good with a some slight doubt still lingering.

So what are they like?

Well I'm not messing about here.. these are completely different beers... funny that, as they came from different breweries hmm...
The US version has the classic taste that I know only too well from Sam Adams... a thick sweet malt juicy Lager full of orange and lemon flavour with a little sherbet and caramel. The UK version is much thiner on the mouthfeel, almost watery in comparison. It's sweeter as well, and not in a nice way, and for some reason I can really tell that this beer is from Shepherd Neame... not that I'm aiming that as an insult, I've just had a lot of Neame beers and they do have a distinct character.

Two very different beers... Will the UK care? No, not really. If anything, I reckon they'll drink more of it... take that which ever way you like, I'm taking it that if imports stop and production takes over for the supply in this country - it's a bad thing.

Brewer's do know what they're doing. Don't get me wrong on that. But the same ingredients, the same yeasts, even making sure the water is chemically the same are not the only factors when it comes to making two beers the same. Especially when they're thousands of miles apart.

Strange thing is, the UK version is 4.8% while the US is 4.7%....

14 comments:

  1. 'Two very different beers.'

    'Nuff said...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you meant to say Sheps are actually brewing it, not just bottling it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. Have been waiting to hear more about this for a while. Did you taste them blind, by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't really blind taste them, the bottles themselves were to different and I had no one to pour for me... I don't think my judgement was effected mind...

      Delete
  4. What Mudgie said and you conclude the Shep's version is crap?

    ReplyDelete
  5. eye, but is the Uk version cheaper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it's more expensive! Only marginally, but still!

      Delete
  6. "The UK version is much thinner on the mouthfeel, almost watery in comparison. It's sweeter as well, and not in a nice way," - Welcome to the world of Shepherd Neame!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If people did not know it was Sheps making this beer, would they be so critical? I am sure they have had lots of quality control put in place by Sam Adams.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Taste matching is what's needed, as I'm sure there's nothing wrong with Shep's quality control procedures.

    I remain critical of Sheps; they are the major player here in Kent, they have some smashing pubs but there is just something about their beers that causes many local drinkers, including myself, avoid them. I'm pretty sure their pubs sell more lager than Shep's own cask ales, these days and would almost class them as a lager brewery as well (Hurlimann, Orangeboom, Asahi, Kingfisher and now Samuel Adams).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had the sheps version on draught not too long ago and it was crap. Totally different beer. I'm all for US breweries opening in Europe and saving on cost(as long as the final product at least resembles the original) but not at all for a brewer like sheps being contracted for it, they've got it all wrong.
    I also did a side by side at home and was not impressed with the UK version.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to agree Glyn, and I'm not saying this because I dislike Shep's. Had the draught version, in a Shep's pub, just before Christmas. Had a job to finish it! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had the UK version in a weatherspoons without knowing about them starting brewing it in the UK. I thought straight away it didn't taste like the Sam Adams I knew and it was only on inspection of the label that I found out why. The UK version barely has a taste to it.

    Does anyone know if Sheps will also be brewing other Adams beers?

    ReplyDelete