They Brew it, I sell it, You Drink it... and so do I..

Sunday 11 December 2011

Epic Black & Tan

Naylor's Brewery, 'The Peak of Perfection' from Keighley. West Yorkshire - The home of UK Brewing.

Naylor's produce a solid core range of 'Pinnacle' beers with a Bitter and a Porter being just two of the range. They also bottle a Black & Tan themselves with two said beers but this was, somehow, not enough for me so I thought I'd blend the two beers for myself. I thought I'd get the proper experience if I blended the two originals myself instead of the pre mixed bottle.

I was going to try and layer the beers like I did with the Yin, Yang mix, but it didn't work this time. I tried really hard too, poured them really carefully, but the Porter just didn't sit on top of the Bitter. Maybe it was something to do with the Bitter being lighter in % than the Porter, or maybe they were both too light. Maybe you can't layer everything, but I still like to try - someone has to, it's tough but I'm willing to do it in the name of science!

I really like the mix. I didn't save a little of each to compare though, I got a little over exited when pouring them together, so I don't really have anything to compare them too. It's not too much of a problem - my giant glass of Black & Tan still tastes great. This was a spur of the moment thing really, and most of the time, spur of the moment things are the best.

Would I suggest you should try it? Well I wouldn't be writing about it if I didn't. It goes really well with home made brownies too!

Note: Brownies made by Sister, not me.

3 comments:

  1. if the ABVs are different then the density will be and only layer in a certain way. sugar content also affects density tho

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often wonder what brewers think of blending in this way.

    Do they get annoyed at the thought of someone tarnishing their product? Irritated that someone thinks they can improve upon their ideas?

    I'm guessing not in this case if they bottle it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brownies and dark beers are an excellent combo, dude. Also works well with fruity, old ales, too.

    ReplyDelete