They Brew it, I sell it, You Drink it... and so do I..

Wednesday 17 August 2011

My First and Last

So this will be my last bottle of my first full mash brew which I undertook with my good chum Gordon. It's safe to say Gordon knows how to make his beer, he's the head brewer for Elland after all, so I was sure I was in good hands.

Just for a refresher, it's about a 7% Red Rye Ale brewed with Jaggery, Marris Otter, Rye, Crystal Rye, Munich & Cara Red malts, and was hopped with Citra, Amarillo and Columbus at several different stages.

The brew day was undertaken with a few minor cock-ups, so I was a little concerned that the final product would be flawed, but I was in good fortunes, as I think it tastes GREAT!

I didn't get to be as outrageously flamboyant as I wanted to be with the design and look of the final package. I would have rather the bottles been brown, but you have to roll with what you've got. I also wanted to go completely over-board and wax seal the caps and necks with red wax and place a 'G' (for Ghost & Gordon) seal right on the top.... maybe it was for the best I didn't. So with the end of my first brew in sight, most of what was produced given to a lucky few, I can only look forward to brewing more beer.

I am however, probably going to be a lazy brewer, and probably insist that all my beers are made in collaboration with someone else. So if you want to make a beer, if no one else can help, and if you can find me, then maybe you can hire the Ghost (to make a beer with you)

.....I say hire, but I'll most likely buy all the raw materials in response to using your kit ;)

5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to trying mine. We should do a brew sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed mine Mr Ghost. Just putting a little blog post together to show my appreciation. Thanks again and hope to call on you for a brew just as soon as I have my life in order!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That label is gorgeous. I like Art Deco. Makes me want to drink the beer. If only more beer bottle labels were as great as that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll second that from AC, the label left me little choice but to leave a comment. It's the seed of something very special in terms of brand ID.

    Oddly, Art Deco seems to lend itself to the green glass better than it might with brown.

    In fact, mixing it up with glass-colouring could be the 'next big thing.'

    Providing it's dark, all manner of crazy shades could be used.

    Go Ghost, and lead the market!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the kind comments guys, it was a really fun thing to do, and I hope to be doing quite a few more in the future!

    Zak - you know where I'll be... ;)

    ReplyDelete