They Brew it, I sell it, You Drink it... and so do I..

Saturday 18 August 2012

Because I Can

It's been a very long HOT day at Beer Ritz today. I want a beer, but it's unbelievable how hard it is to choose one these days. I want something pale, something refreshing. I have beers like Kipling, Oakham Citra, Ilkley Lotus and similar suspects running through my mind, but I don't want them. I want something like them but not them, something different.

I also want some fun, some experimentation, and thus thoughts of "I wonder what that and this taste like together...." started roaming through my concoctious brain. The image of an IPA mixed with some fruit beer then popped into my head. "Sounds good to me" I thought, so away we go!

I'm not doing this willy-nilly, I thought about my selections for the night and if they would go together or not. So... What's gonna happen if I mix a highly acclaimed IPA from Hawkshead which is know to many of us as NZPA:


With something like this:


Well I guess you'll end up with something like this:

Pink NZPA!


SO does it work? Well on paper, you've got the caramel malty-ness and the resinous hops of NZPA, and you have the raspberry dry tartness but with sweetness too from the Mort Subite Xtreme. What's it like? It's like liquidised rhubarb and raspberry crumble! That's it basically, it works really well for me, it's really interesting - I'd recommend more people try this. Don't use too much Framboise though as it can easily become overpowering.

Rhubarb and raspberry crumble in a glass! Hashtag Loving it :)

Remember to have some fun with beer, that's what it's for. Don't take it too seriously, there's not really any point. And try a little experimentation sometimes as well, because, when it comes down to it, you are allowed to....

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'd try it mate, it would go great with some actual crumble!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. damn dyslexia and autocorrects....

      All changed.

      Delete
  3. I love randomly mixing beers, (or beer and cider as I did last time). More people should try it.

    ReplyDelete